- This event has passed.
MN Workshop: REVIVE YOUR CLASSROOM LIBRARY WITH CULTURALLY RELEVANT TEXTS
November 14 @ 8:30 am - 3:30 pmFREE
Readers flourish when they have equitable access to self-selected texts in rich and diverse classroom libraries.
Watch your students bloom when they connect to texts that foster identity, increase social-emotional health and offer window, mirror and sliding glass door experiences.
Whether your classroom library is just sprouting or in need of pruning, Dr. Bonnie Houck, ASCD author and national literacy consultant, provides practical tools to cultivate classroom libraries and effective strategies that strengthen independent reading routines.
MORNING SESSION I 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
In this session, attendees will:
– Reflect and assess condition of current independent reading resources using a rubric
– Learn to identify and evaluate resources for cultural relevance and authentic voices
– Create routines for effective independent reading practice and resource management
– Explore new and significant culturally relevant titles
– Receive a “swag bag” of HOT new titles that will instantly brighten any classroom library
– Enter a drawing to win a $500 classroom library package
>>Lunch on your own<<
AFTERNOON WORKSHOP I 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Take the information you receive from your evaluation and create a plan for your classroom libraries.
Spend the afternoon previewing resources in the curriculum showroom and select titles to address the needs of your students.