Watch your students bloom when they connect to texts that foster identity, increase social-emotional health and offer window, mirror and sliding glass door experiences.
Whether your classroom library is just sprouting or in need of pruning, Dr. Bonnie Houck, ASCD author and national literacy consultant, provides practical tools to cultivate classroom libraries and effective strategies that strengthen independent reading routines.
MORNING SESSION I 8:30 AM – 11:30 AM
In this session, participants will:
- Reflect & assess condition of current independent reading resources using a rubric
- Learn to identify & evaluate resources for cultural relevance and authentic voices
- Create routines for effective independent reading practice and resource management
- Explore new and significant culturally relevant titles
- Receive a “Swag Bag” of hot, new titles that will instantly brighten any classroom library
- Enter a drawing to win a $500 classroom library package
>>Lunch on your own<<
AFTERNOON WORKSHOP I 12:30 PM – 3:30 PM
Take the information you receive from your evaluation and create a plan for your classroom libraries.
Spend the afternoon previewing resources in the curriculum showroom and select titles to address the needs of your students.
Adults who continue to read long after formal schooling ends read because they find some intellectual or personal enjoyment. Unfortunately, too many young readers endure reading experiences at school that disconnect them from reading enjoyment or actively discourage it.
In this workshop, Donalyn Miller, award-winning Texas teacher and author, describes the conditions, rituals, and instructional opportunities that engage young people with reading and set them on the path for reading joy for a lifetime. Learn more…